Amatey DokuFormer Vice-President for Higher Education at the National Union of Students
Baroness Floella Benjamin OBE
David McGravie Deputy Dean for the College of Arts, Humanities and Education & Head of the School of Art, University of DerbyDavid McGravieDeputy Dean for the College of Arts, Humanities and Education & Head of the School of Art, University of Derby
Dr Angela Partington Associate Dean Learning & Teaching, Kingston School of Art, Kingston UniversityDr Angela PartingtonAssociate Dean Learning & Teaching, Kingston School of Art, Kingston University
Hasan BakhshiExecutive Director, Creative Economy and Data Analytics, Nesta
Professor Alison Honour Pro-Vice Chancellor & Executive Dean, Faculty of Arts, Design and Media, Birmingham City UniversityProfessor Alison HonourPro-Vice Chancellor & Executive Dean, Faculty of Arts, Design and Media, Birmingham City University
CHEAD Annual Conference 2020
The Challenge of Change: The value of creative education supporting inclusion and diversity
Aims of the Conference
- The fusion of cultures within CHEAD has created a unique community characterised by “Unity without Uniformity” – our diversity is our strength. This conference will explore how our community is responding to change by embracing diversity.
- To celebrate the union of art and design across culturally diverse domains, how our openness and differences are our strengths and are a powerful catalyst for change.
- To advocate for step-change in the dynamics, benefits and value of an increased and expansive focus on diversity and inclusivity in arts education.
Content: To explore how we can develop the breadth of art and design education to encompass diverse and underrepresented art forms, engage all audiences and enrich creative education by embracing a wide range of influences and practices.
Context: To engage with emerging opportunities and contexts for transformational change addressing how our people, practice and provision should draw on and reflect the full range of backgrounds and perspectives to be found in our contemporary society.
- Drivers of change: Political, Economic, Societal/Cultural and Technological.
- Dynamics of change, diversification and transformation: Embracing a diversity of influences and cultural inclusivity as an opportunity for transformational change. Making change strategically significant.
- Capturing change in the academic role. Future academic leadership roles, inclusive recruitment, developing and reflecting better workplace representation, equality, resilience and adaptability.
- Showcasing diversity in people, practices and provision across arts schools and multi-disciplinary institutions as a catalyst for change. Addressing imbalances of power, who speaks, who listens, who hears and acts?
- Critiquing the civic engagement agenda, who leads change in place-based strategies and regeneration, the challenge of working proactively and inclusively with communities, partners and diverse organisations and settings.
- Exploring our commitment to diversity and equality and the changing demographics of academic and student profiles. Are we fit for purpose?
A shuttle bus service will be provided from the following hotels from the annual dinner venue and to the conference venue on the second day. We cannot provide transport from any other hotels.
Hotel Du Vin
25 Church St, Birmingham B3 2NR
Radisson Blu Hotel, Birmingham
12 Holloway Circus, Queensway, Birmingham,B1 1BT
0121 654 6000
Conference Rate: Standard double room single occupancy £124 including breakfast
Please use the following code when booking: ‘Birmingham City University’
Premier Inn City Centre (Waterloo Street)
3-6 Waterloo St, Birmingham B2 5PG
0333 777 3903
Tuesday 17th March 2020
- 18.00pm - 20.00pm
- Pre Conference Reception
- Ikon Gallery, 1 Oozells Square, Brindleyplace, Birmingham B1 2HS
Wednesday 18th March 200
- 09.30am - 16.30pm
- CHEAD Conference 2020
- Birmingham School of Art, Margaret Street, Birmingham B3 3BX
- 18.30pm - 10.30pm
- CHEAD Annual Dinner
- Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery, Chamberlain Square, Birmingham, B3 3DH
Thursday 19th March 2020
- 09.15am - 16.30pm
- CHEAD Conference 2020
- Floor 5, Curzon Building, Birmingham City University, 4 Cardigan St, Birmingham B4 7BD