CHEAD membership is open to institutions offering higher education in art, design, creative media, and related disciplines.
Each member institution will nominate a main representative, usually the most senior academic responsible for art and design in the institution. The main representative will have the right to vote at our annual AGM and have a say in the direction of CHEAD strategy.
Benefits of CHEAD membership
One of the most important benefits of CHEAD membership is the opportunity to network with peers from other HEIs and to share experiences. This network of support and expertise also provides the strong foundation for much of our activities.
Through our current range of activities, members further have the opportunity to:
- Network: at our themed meetings and events with peers from across the UK.
- Take up a free place at the CHEAD Annual Conference in the Spring.
- Receive regular policy updates in a fast changing policy landscape.
- Support a voice for the sector: CHEAD has a strong track record in representing the sector at key debates, events and in government sector consultations.
- Support your staff: our Leadership Development Programme provides leadership seminars run by peers for aspiring academic leaders.
- Have full access to the CHEAD website, including contacts from our different networks.
- Join our specialist networks: CHEAD supports a Research Alliance, a Gallery Alliance and a Subject Association Alliance. We also offer full access to our members forum with a number of live discussion topics including: Assessment, Leadership, Online Learning, Research and Applied Subjects.
How much does it cost?
There are six tiers of membership fees starting at £650 per annum based on art and design student numbers. All membership packages include at least one free place at the CHEAD annual conference. Download the Become a Member leaflet here and contact the Director of Membership and Operations to discuss which membership package will apply to your institution as well as more information on how to join.
If your institution is joining in the middle of a year, the fee is discounted to cover the remaining months from the 1st of the next month of joining date (= (annual fee / 12) * no. of months remaining).
Access our range of membership support documents
We have produced a series of leaflets and posters to support your institutions CHEAD membership which you can download and print:
CHEAD has helped us make key contacts in regards to art and design policy
It’s a great resource with access to a wide network of art and design professionals and their knowledge
Their membership events are well run and informative with relevant speakers